The Midlothian Volunteer Fire Department was organized in December 1949. Incorporated by the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Department is made up today of more than 50 Volunteer Firefighters. There are two 'sides' of the Department--Operations and Administration. Heading the Operations side is a Volunteer District Chief, two Captains, and three Volunteer Lieutenants. The Administration of the Department is headed by a Company President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Board of Directors.
The current Midlothian Fire Station at 13420 Midlothian Turnpike, Midlothian, Virginia 23113 was constructed in 1955. Funding for the building was raised by the Midlothian Volunteer Firefighters and their Ladies Auxiliary through raffles, bingo games, and donations. In order to build the station a number of Midlothian Volunteer Firefighters took out second mortgages on their own homes to begin the building.
The Midlothian Fire Station has been added onto five times. The last addition which included a dayroom, a physical training room, a radio/call room and a volunteer firefighter bunkroom for 12 volunteers was completed in 1993.
The Midlothian Volunteer Fire Department operates as Engine Company 5 in the Chesterfield County, Virginia Fire and Emgergency Medical Services.